Friday, November 27, 2015

Form & Shape, Mass & Volume

Assignment: Find or create a composition which emphasizes Shape and Form, Mass and Volume. This can be something that you build- like a still-life, something you have seen or setup- like a photo you take from a real life situation, or something completely fanciful that you have chosen or determined on your own- an imaginary composition which emphasizes shape, form, mass, and volume.
 



After much debating what to have as my composition I have come up with a tea setup. I took the picture and began sketching. I am still in the very beginning stage. I will be using graphite pencil mostly and vine charcoal for shading later. I was tempted to use color as well. I have not decided for sure yet. I made a grid to properly align my objects. Later I will add the details and shading to the darkest object and finish with the lightest values.



To create this project I have put together a still life composition and I took a picture of it. The materials that I have used include graphite pencil for the outlining and details, charcoal pencil for shading, compressed charcoal for giving value to certain areas, vine charcoal for shading and adding value, and eraser for bringing up light values and reflections. Also finger for smudging, and paper stumps for blending. I have spent a fair amount of time on this project starting by outlining all the shapes, then I added base value to the tea pot, added all the detail and shading by leaving some white areas for the light reflections. I did very minimal erasing since I already had the light spots left from the beginning. The second object I drew was the cup with honey and the teaspoon. After that I drew the cinnamon sticks, and lastly the key hanger. I have finished my work by adding the shading for the drapery and all objects. Voila! I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment